Having surgery for back pain management is a difficult decision to make but one which will positively affect your quality of life. Surgery can allow you to get relief from all manner of back and neck pain which can be debilitating, but the recovery process can be tough for people. If you are scheduled to go in for surgery, it can be a great idea to research a bit about what the surgery will do and what the recovery process will be like. To make this time easier, we have gathered some essential tips.
- Stop Smoking: If you smoke, you should definitely consider stopping before you have surgery and continue that throughout the recovery process. Smoking can cause complications and that is the last thing you want when dealing with everything that comes with back pain relief surgery.
- Get in Shape: If you are scheduled for surgery and you have time to do so, it can be a great idea to lost a few pounds. The healthier you are going into surgery, the less complications you will have during the process and while recovering. You want to remove as much extra pressure from your recovering bones as possible, and weight loss can help.
- Walk: Once you are on your way to recovery, it is very important that you walk. Some doctors recommend up to a mile while others say you should walk at least 20 minutes each day. This will help your back heal and can speed up your recovery time.
- Have Patience: Recovering from back surgery, especially if it was a complex procedure, can take a while. You need to be patient and listen to your doctor. Do not try to do the things that he or she tells you to avoid because you can really harm yourself if your body is not ready for it yet.
- Listen to Your Body: Many people try to stop their pain medication as quickly as possible, but pain can slow down your recovery time. If you are in pain, you are less likely to do the exercises your doctor recommends or to do the walking they suggest, slowing down the healing. Although it can be tempting to stop the medication, do not do so if you are still experiencing lost of pain.
- Eat Protein: Protein will help build up your bones, ligaments, tendons, and other parts of your body that are needed to recover from back surgery. Eating a protein rich diet while you recover will help speed the process.
The right pain relief center will help you prepare for surgery and for the recovery process after it. You need guidance from experts if you want to know what to expect and they can show you how to recover as quickly as possible. Do lots of research yourself, as well, and inform yourself on what you can expect while you recover. Ask your doctor all of the questions you may have before the surgery and do your best to get in shape to have a great chance at a speedy recovery.